How to Be a Self-Employed SSS Member

 I already have my SSS number, but I am not yet employed. Can I start paying my contributions now?


No. You should not. Your contributions will be accepted by the cashier, but it will be put on hold by the SSS system.

What do you need to do? Apply to be a SELF-EMPLOYED SSS MEMBER. Show to SSS that you are earning at least 1,000 pesos every month from a legitimate source of income.

Steps to Do:

1. Fill up this SSS form -- E1 PERSONAL RECORD.
    Fill up the SELF-EMPLOYED (SE) portion of the form.
    Dati, merong RS1 Self-Employed form, pero ngayon, pinag-isa na nila sa
      E-1 Personal Record form.
2. Submit this form and your proofs of source of income to the SSS branch nearest your place of business or residence. Bring your IDs and xerox copies of your IDs.
3. Answer questions about your source of income: questions about what you do, how much you earn, etc
4.  Receive a copy of your E-1 form, approved and stamped by SSS.
5. You can now start paying your contributions as an SSS SELF-EMPLOYED MEMBER. Use the RS5 form.

Note: For E-1 approval, you must appear in person. SSS officers do not entertain representatives for E-1 applications.

What can you use as Proofs of Source of Income?
At least one of the following: (Original and Xerox copy)

1.  Business permit
2.  DTI registration
3.  PRC license
4.  Affidavit of Source of Income
5.  Receipts of commissions from sales
6.  Barangay Certification of Source of Income
7.  Vehicle registration and franchise papers, if you are an operator of a public utility vehicle
8.  Receipts of payments for online work (examples: Western Union or Xoom receipts)
9.  Printout of web page showing payments for online work (examples: Paypal or Odesk)

10. Other Proofs of Source of Income

.  The SSS officer may ask for some more proofs of income if you fail to answer questions about your source of income satisfactorily.
.  In some cases, an SSS officer will visit your sari-sari store, your place of business,
   or the small business you wrote in your E1 form or affidavit.



  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. hi i have my sss number but never had any contributions. then i want to avail maternity benefits. how will i avail this? please respond

  3. hi..ihave already a SSS-E1#
    i use it when i am having a job but now i am unemployed,i'm pregnant that why i want to avail especially the maternity benefits..my live-in partner suggest to apply as a self-employed..i really want too but i dont know how/what is the procedure....
    hope u can help me
    thank you.

  4. Actually this type of information will let the people to know more the available services around them. Hope it will be useful for them by searching for the better jobs for their career.

    Recruitment Franchise in Chennai

  5. Mam? Akk po c nestor piquero.. 18 years na po akong member ng sss. 58 years old na po ako ngayun at wla na po akong trabaho.. gusto ko mag continue sa sss. Ano ang gagawin ko para ma continue ang contribution ko sa sss?

  6. what are the examples of receipt of source of income po? kung ngpapaload po anu po dapat dalhin?

    1. Same tau ng business.At yan din proof of income source ko,Siguro yung receipt nung load wallet o ung binayaran natin..

  7. Hello po meron po ako sss e1 pero wala po hulog simula ng 2007 hanggang ngayon eh gusto ko po magself employed ano po dapat kong gawin?