SSS Sickness Benefits for OFWs Confined Abroad
If you're an OFW who got sick or hospitalized abroad, submit these documents to claim your sickness benefits:
1. Sickness Notification (SSS Form CLD-9N)
2. Sickness Benefit Application Form for Unemployed/Self-Employed/Voluntary Members (SSS Form CLD-9A)
3. Medical Certificate (SSS Form MMD-102)
4. Certified true copy of medical records:
- Hospital abstract
- Operation room record
- X-ray, CT scan, ECG, ultrasound results, if these were used
- Other clinical records or results of diagnostic procedures
NOTE: Documents issued by the hospital must be in English or translated to English and must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate office or notarized by a notary public in the country where the OFW got sick or hospitalized.
5. SSS ID (or 2 valid IDs with signature, with one ID with photo and date of birth)
- For those with no SSS ID, you may be required to apply for an SSS ID and to present your E6 application acknowledgment stub as one of your IDs for filing your claim.
Additional Documents if Filed by Family Member, Relative or Representative:
- Authorization letter signed by SSS member and representative
- SSS ID of representative
- SSS ID of member (photocopy, because member is abroad)
- passport of member (photocopy, because member is abroad)
If there's no SSS ID, bring 2 valid IDs with signature (at least one ID should have photo and date of birth)
Where to file:
SSS branch nearest the member's residence
or SSS Diliman branch
Deadline for filing:
Within one year after last day of hospitalization, or start of sickness (if treated at home, and not hospitalized)
Who are eligible for sickness benefit?
You are eligible if you:
- Have paid at least 3 monthly contributions within the 12-month period immediately before the semester of sickness or injury
- Have used up all company sick leaves with pay
- Have been sick at home or confined in a hospital for at least 4 days
- Have notified SSS within 5 days after start of sickness or injury (if confined at home)
- Have notified SSS within 1 year from start of hospitalization ( if confined in a hospital)
How much is the sickness benefit?
Daily sickness benefit is 90% of average daily salary credit -- this depends on your 6 highest monthly salary credits within the 12-month period before your semester of confinement
A member can avail of up to 120 days of sickness benefits in one year.